Bicycles: Which one(s) do you use?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bicycles: Which one(s) do you use?

Hey all! Since our forum now is about everything outdoors and not just Thrunite, how about we discuss some outdoors activities? So let's start with exactly what this section is about: BICYCLES!

Me, personally, I have one specific "slimmy" that I've been riding and messing around with for over a decade, a Montana 21v MTB, from Caloi. Only the frame is stock nowadays, though: I've changed the wheels from hub to tires to sturdier aftermarket parts, the front fork was replaced (turning it from a rigid to a super-smooth hardtail), the brakes are caliper when they were cantilever before, pedals and gear systems no longer have any plastic parts whatsoever, the saddle is gel instead of hard foam, you get the idea. Modernizing it from a Caloi budget mountain bike to the almost-fully Shimano rolling thunder it is now took some good cash, but I love it to death and I'm sure the money was VERY well-spent!

The story doesn't stop at this crazy part-swapping, oh no. I gotta admit, I had to switch the stock parts (save for the fork) simply because I'd worn them to the bone Aside from a number of years as my commute vehicle, I've also taken it a few times to road outings, when I cycled from the city to a farm some 40km away and back almost all the way. Even if it's by all means a mountain bike (with the weight and wide tyres that the category entails) instead of a road model, I've managed the course in about three hours the very first time, an achievement I'm glad about to this day.

Before anyone says anything derisive about me using an MTB for urban and road cycling, I'll let you in on a secret: in a 1km radius of where I live, there's no asphalt and barely any gravel, the terrain is uneven and bumpy. And cycling to a farm also includes riding on a dirt road leading to the main premises, so yeah, imagine how good an asphalt-exclusive one would fare. Not pleasant, eh?

I'll post some photos in the future, so meanwhile: this is my story, what's yours?
    Last edited by Editor Beetle; 09-18-2015, 11:41 PM.

Editor Beetle

Good topic!

Hey, guys! Pay attention please.

We will give away our flashlights in a new way. Editor Beetle started this topic. If other 9 users reply to this topic as answering Editor Beetle' question. We will choose one best answer of one user among 10 users and award him with a flashlight. Later, if there are 10 more users answer this topic, we will give away a flashlight again.

If you have any questions about the rules, please feel free to let us know.

Comment

• Editor Beetle
      Editor Beetle commented
      Editing a comment
      Why, thanks a lot!

Cool topic!
    From mountain bikes, to road bikes, to trick bikes, Bicycles are marvelous for short distance traveling or just plain fun. Everyone buys a bike for a different purpose. As for me, a teenage living in a large city, I chose one of the most unique forms of a bicycle, the BMX. This Bike is made solely for doing tricks, but can also be used for getting around in a city. I colored my BMX black and white using durable car paint. Although I’m no good at the tricks, it’s still great fun ridding it and at least trying to do them. I enjoy practicing tricks and peddling around my neighborhood. I know this topic is mostly for mountain bikes and road bikes, but I thought it would be interesting to share my unique bike with you guys! I might post some pictures later.

Steps2Survival Step up and SURVIVE!!!

Comment

Steps2survival

Hey, don't put your ride down just because it's not made for rough terrain! I roll with an MTB on an urban/paved setting mostly inappropriate for it, and I'm all cool with that.

Besides, if you have the right size for it, the BMX is surprisingly comfortable, and you can go pretty far with it even if it has no gears.

Comment

I use a mountain bike for everything whether its long biking tours or cyrrying stuff from one place to another, it is great that i dont have to be afraid to go straight through the forest but i dont have to be afraid of going fast on a roadway either! i used to let my Brother ride with me on the back of it where i usually carry milk water etc. but the last two times my back tire didnt hold it anymore, i guess he is too heavy now and if you ask yourself why i cant name the place on the bike exactly its because i dont know the english word for it... maybe carrier? haha who knows

Comment

My bike is a 1998 MTB hard tail from Wheeler (w/ steel frame). Cost about 500 EUR new, over the years I've replaced wheels, fork, saddle, chain, added front and rear lights from Busch & Müller as well as a rack for transportation purposes.

Comment

Working...
          X